I'm A Legal Alien Now

Sunday, June 17, 2007

2's and 3's

It's been a while since I posted- nothing much of note has happened. My new boss arrives in DC tonight but doesn't start work until July 2. I go to Mexico in just over a week (yay!).

I've been feeling a bit lonely of late. I'm not sure why, because I've been quite sociable with people like Jack and Scarlett. I really need a holiday, so hurrah for Mexico City next week. Also, I bought a new computer which is supposed to ship on Monday. I'm a bit screwed if it doesn't, because then it will probably arrive when I'm in Mexico and I don't want it sitting in the lobby for a week.

One of the things I've been meaning to blog about for a while is the problem Americans (mostly Asian-Americans, but not exclusively) have with my way of saying 'two'. For some reason they hear it as 'three'. Considering that my cell number is full of 2's and my work number full of 3's this can be problematic. It seems to be better if I group the numbers in pairs though, so instead of saying 2133 as 2, 1, 3, 3 I say it as 21, 33. It can be a bit frustrating.

I also learnt why so many Americans say my name so it sounds more like iron than ee-an. In Spanish, the 'i' sound is like 'eye' all the time, unlike pesky English where it can be 'eye' or 'ee'. Still, it's not as good as a freight supplies company who think they're dealing with Diane or my drycleaners who have me down as Enian.

Very lazy today. I may vacuum. I'm going to go and find lunch at some point and Xena and I are supposed to make a welcome basket from Whole Foods for the new boss.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger JustAnne. said...

Those Americans are so whacky. I think I am going to totally flip out when I am over there man. People say visiting developing countries is a culture shock . . . but I think this could be a biggie. ;)

9:10 AM  
Blogger Ian said...

I maintain it's probably worse coming here because you don't expect it to hit as much as you would if you were going to, say, Egypt.

In other news, I totally love Dell. I spoke to them earlier about my shipping concerns and they've upped it to Next Business Day and haven't charged me anything extra at all, when it's usually like $80. Rather pleased.

11:18 AM  
Blogger JustAnne. said...

Hang on, was this before, or after our ilicit work-time conversation?

11:43 PM  
Blogger Ian said...

Oh I hate them now. I used to like them.

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home