I'm A Legal Alien Now

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Presidential Protective Services, you've made the list.

I was supposed to go on an illicit White House tour today. So I fronted up on 17th Street at the appointed time... and they didn't have my name on the list. This isn't such the disaster it may sound, because then some official looking man went off with my passport number to look in some sort of super-computer. Anyway, I stuck around for half an hour then went back to work. It was, at least, a stunning day to be standing outside. And another chap from work was a few ahead of me in the queue and got in- but we ended up walking back to the Embassy together so I can't imagine there was much to see. Also, the President was in da' house so a lot of it would have been closed off.

I've been rebooked by our super travel guru into another tour at the end of the month.

Yesterday I had lunch with Xena and the Japanese cultural people. I was, for some reason, nervous beforehand which is ridculous as I know my table manner is very good for someone of my age (one thing I will always be eternally grateful for to my parents). It was a very good lunch though, and we were all laughing and carrying on like old friends. Xena is a pro. I'm really glad she came with me. I think her trick is just to completely be herself which sounds blindingly obvious, but is tricky in a professional environment- especially when the company are from a vastly different national, and corporate, culture.

My application went in today. There has also been a sudden rush of interest about the position- I was in the awkward position of accepting someone's application and there were phone calls to Xena from potentials too.

2 Comments:

Blogger JustAnne. said...

Dammit - that totally blows chunks. Still, you must remember that sometimes companies prefer to hire people they have already trained. And besides, all of these so-called-applicants are probably incredibly mediocre.

G'Luck!!

10:13 PM  
Blogger Ian said...

I do however find it deeply worrying that those charged with protecting the President are unable to read a passport. I had to carefully explain which bit was my surname.

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home