I'm A Legal Alien Now

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Goddamn

So I was stood up again tonight.

Thing is I'm angry, but am struggling to have righteous anger as I have been without a cell phone for most of the day and he may very well have tried to contact me and change our arrangements for the third day in a row. But I did send out an SMS to people saying I no longer have a cell- use these numbers. But maybe he didn't get it.

See how many excuses I've made for him already?

I mean, maybe he tried to call me in the fifteen minutes at 5pm when I was in transit and uncontactable between work and home.

Or maybe when I thought we'd said seven, he thought we meant seven thirty.

Regardless, I do not stand outside a restaurant for forty minutes like a Nigel No-Friends for anyone, even if they are cute. So I've left a rather angry message on his phone (which wasn't being answered- ho, ho, ho) which went "As far as I'm aware, we were having dinner at 7 tonight. Well it's now almost 8. I'm prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you tried to call my cell phone, despite the message I sent out today. Or you tried to call me in the fifteen minutes between leaving my office and arriving home. If you have a good reason, I'm prepared to have another go. If not, I'd wouldn't be bothered returning this call. Thanks!". The 'thanks' was actually accidental. It's almost my standard telephone voicemail finisher, so it probably makes it sound a bit snarkier than I intended. Oh, and I forgot to give him my home number but he should be able to do the 'return this call' thing anyway.

What I don't get is why go to all the bother of giving a phone number, making plans and everything- twice- including rescheduling last night's rescheduled plans because you thought you'd be late- when you have no intention of following through? Hence why I will give him another shot, if he grovels or has a superb excuse.

And I think my Roomie is currently have sex, as if to rub it in.

Anyway, this is suppose to be a blog about wacky American cultural differences I encounter but I had to get that off my chest. So, today for dinner I had Quizno's. Subway: you are dead to me now.

3 Comments:

Blogger JustAnne. said...

Did you use your optus voice? It would have been an impressive voice mail message if you used your optus voice.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Ian said...

Seriously, almost every telephone conversation requires me to use my Optus voice in this country. You should have heard me lose patience with some poor Indian at Fairmont Reservations yesterday.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Ian said...

Actually, I'm confused. Fairmont were brilliant, so I take that back. It was Ritz Carlton.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home