I'm A Legal Alien Now

Friday, August 11, 2006

Next on CNN, you WILL be BLOWN UP.

This week, I was finally broken by CNN (which plays non-stop at work).

With the whole British terror plot thing, CNN was practically wetting itself with excitement. In fact, it was 'BREAKING NEWS' all yesterday, which I feel somewhat defeats the purpose of being 'breaking news'. When there was the possibility that some flights had left London before the severe level was introduced, their reporters were creaming their pants that one of them MAY EXPLODE ANY MINUTE NOW over the Atlantic. It was sick.

However it reached an exciting new depth today when they had a snazzy computer 3D animation of what a civilian aircraft would like look if it was blown up by a liquid explosive. Quite frankly, I don't think they went far enough. The plane didn't have any people in it, so I feel I have not been informed at all. The absolute worst bit though is that CNN's slogan throughout this BREAKING NEWS over the past two days has been 'Know Facts. Not Fear'. Then they spend three hours, in between commercial breaks for prescription medicines, tell the public how the threat level is SEVERE and the aviation industry is going to COLLAPSE and this is what the explosion will look like.

I was becoming quite vexed during all of this. Quite vexed indeed.

2 Comments:

Blogger JustAnne. said...

That's crazy.

But I am glad that we are appropriately informed lest we try and catch a plane anywhere near heathrow airport.

Mum told me that you are not even allowed to take a book with you on an international flight at the moment. This feels very wrong to me.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Ian said...

For flights leaving the UK, you can only carry travel documents, glasses not in cases and medical supplies in a clear plastic bag onboard a plane. Things like tampons are also allowed, but must be unpacked.

Everywhere has pretty much put a ban on liquids and electronics. I wouldn't be happy checking in my laptop, for starters.

They've changed it just recently to allow you to take onboard anything you buy AFTER security... so you can buy a magazine in the terminal now.

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home