I'm A Legal Alien Now

Friday, August 25, 2006

The Joy of Locker

Today did not have auspicious beginnings.

Firstly, I had been volunteered by Dapper to assist with the beer delivery to the Locker. The beer delivery is not, as the name may quaintly suggest, a few cartons of beer being dropped off at the loading dock but rather a full-sized shipping crate packed with slabs of beer from home. Luckily, I was not in the chain gang of the Armed Services lugging cartons, but instead on trolley duty of getting trolleys of beer from the dock to the Locker. I was really dreading it, being physical labour and all, but it was actually rather interesting and all rather oddly Australian in its own way.

Also, I had this nagging scratchy throat like the onset of a cold and all I really wanted were Butter Menthols which are not available in this country, and every throat drop here is cherry flavoured and thus tastes like Children's Panadol in an unpleasant way.

But then, lo!

A shipment of tim-tams is available in the Food Locker this afternoon! And Butter Menthols! How happy was I.

I am introducing Tim-Tams to the American populace- I saw my neighbour Miss Pearl on my way in the door and gave her one and am going to buy her two packs the next time some come in (there won't be any left for next Friday's locker, that's for sure).

Tomorrow I am going shopping at Friendship Heights for a light sweater to try and prevent goosebumps in this igloo. I must be strong and conserve my financial resources for New York next weekend and not be sucked into a hedonistic whirl of consumerism at Neiman Marcus (known as Needless Markup), Saks Fifth Avenue Mens' Store and then their heavily discounted brethren Filene's, Loehmann's and TJ Maxx. You know, I often made fun of Americans and their shopping habits but now that I'm here I can see what all the fuss is about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home